Monday 16 July 2012

My Womanifesto








Today, and much of this weekend, I've been thinking about what it means to be an empowered woman in this day and age, and more specifically, what being empowered means to me, and how that plays into my own life.
Jes, a.k.a. The Militant Baker, posted her "Womanifesto" last week, and I absolutely loved it.  It's sassy, and honest, and all over the map; an out pour of thoughts on her own femininity, and her rejection of conventional standards.  I also read Amy's Womanifesto, and loved seeing the similarities and differences between the two.  I think that for me, it really highlighted the common problems the modern woman has with what seems to be a dated, and oppressive concept of femininity, and what it really means to be a woman.

And I am no exception.

So of course, I was thrilled when Jes invited me to contribute to the Womanifesto Linkup Challenge, and that is one very open invitation, y'all.  So I entreat you, each and every one of you, think about what it means to be a woman today, and write your own Womanifesto.  Keep it to yourself, share it with the world, scream it from the top of a mountain, whatever, but dig down deep and really think
about what irks you
pleases you
confuses you
distances you
from and about what it means to be a woman, whether or not you would identify as such.

And now, I present to you, the Womanifesto I scribbled out in my sketchbook whilst I sat on a shaded bench in the Niagara Peninsula. It reads more like the surrealist manifesto than anything (which you should totally check out here), but I like to think that's the passion formatting things.  


 I am a force to be reckoned with

I am a listener,
I am a nurturer,
I am a CREATOR,
I am,
I am.
I am not afraid to push the envelope,
                       to expand my comfort zone,
                       to make you think,
                       to make you listen.

I am more than a womb on wheels.
I am more than the capabilities of my body
I am more than the mistakes I have made in the past
I am more than the mistakes and successes yet to come
I am more than enough

I am the destroyer of worlds

I am inspired,
inspiring,
aspiring,
sparring with ideals held by others

I will not shy away from confrontation.
I will always speak my mind.
I will happily conspire to create worlds unimaginable with you,
only,
if only,
you appreciate my mind, above my body, as I do

the sum of my days,
the hours of my toil,
the breadth of my love,
these I control, and I alone.

even when I cannot control my body
even when I cannot find my joy
even when I cannot find the time
even when I cannot figure out who I am right now

I will join your all boys club
and I will teach you a thing or twoI have the power to say yes
and to say NO

I am
have been
and always will be
good enough.  

More than enough.

Too much to handle.

A force to be reckoned with.



4 comments:

  1. I don't know enough words to express to you how much I love this. I rarely belly laugh at written word, but that is exactly what I did when I read "womb on wheels". Fucking brilliant. This is so good. Thanks for being you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jes! It was really fun to write, and such an interesting subject to ponder on. Thank you SO MUCH for doing this link up challenge. I really hope that this collection of womanifestos you're amassing will inspire other women to stop, think, and look at their lives. We've all got it in us to be happy, and feel free of the expectations of others.
      --Erin

      Delete
  2. This is so inspiring and awesome! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freakin awesome. I need to read this every morning when I wake up. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love answering questions (comments, concerns, the works!) so check back sometime for a reply! :)